Thursday, April 8, 2010

Shrimp Grape Salad

In time for the Lenten season, my mom and I were debating what we should cook for Maundy Thursday. As I was browsing through the Essentials Cookbook for salads, the Shrimp Grape Salad recipe captured my attention. I checked the ingredients and I think we have most of the ingredients in stock.... with a little tweak here and there, I came up with this recipe for the refreshing Shrimp Grape Salad.

3    cups shrimp (You can add more)
2    cups mixed grapes
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1    cup plain yogurt (one serving cup of plain yogurt)
1-2 tbsp prepared mustard
1/4 tsp Tabasco
lemon pepper seasoning (or you can use 1 tbsp lemon juice) 
salt and pepper to taste
2    tbsp dill herb, chopped
2    tbsp scallions

As I said, the original recipe called for 1kg of prawns. Since I did not have that on hand, I had to make do with the frozen white shrimps my mom and I bought. Unfortunately, the frozen shrimps on the left are unrecognizable.

Defrost the shrimp and cook it for 2 minutes then remove from heat and place in an ice bath to stop cooking. You don't want your little shrimps overcooked. 
Beautiful red and green grapes. You can cut the grapes in half if you feel that they are too big in relation to the shrimps. For this, I cut in half the red grapes and retained the green ones as is. Also, you have to resist the temptation of popping those grapes in your mouth or you won't be left with any for the salad.




Having prepared all the main ingredients, mix together the mayonnaise (I used Olive oil mayo for this one... again, TRYING to make it a bit healthy), plain yogurt, mustard, Tabasco, lemon pepper seasoning, salt and pepper.

Toss in the scallions and the chopped dill. Taste it... add more salt and pepper if needed.


The chopped Stringer Cheese (or you can use any cheese of choice) is my surprise ingredient for this Salad. I think it adds a salty bite to the dish.
The stringer cheese. Honestly, it looked so cute so I added them in.
Toss in the cooked shrimp into the dressing.

Follow it with the colorful grapes.. yummm!

Toss the shrimp and grapes in the dressing. Taste it...

Then... refrigerate it for 4 hours. Or if your freezer has quick freeze, pop it into the freezer for a while. This dish is best enjoyed cold.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a foolproof dish even an idiot like me can make! Thanks, Marshmalou! *kisses*

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks so appealing. i would've really wanted to taste this...ahem ahem....grin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ uneditedmara: Yup! Very easy. I encourage you to try it! =)

    @Maki: I promise. One day. =)

    ReplyDelete